Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Opening Day Approaches....

A Comcast commercial came on the other day showing highlights of seasons past, and I got a little misty eyed, and my heart went all a twitter. Joey remarked that the Redskins are arguably my greatest passion. I said that she was, "but yes, it is true, I do love it so."

HBO ran a documentary about the Chicago Cubs and their long suffering fans a few years ago. Jeff Garlin, who plays Larry David's manager on "Curb Your Enthusiasm," and life-long Cubs fan, says that every year on baseball's opening day, when he's about to watch the Cubs' first game, he tears up because he's just so happy to be alive. That's the way I feel about the Redskins.

I like to play K-Os's "Sunday Morning" when I wake up on opening day. Upon waking up that morning, while still in bed, I've been known to sing "its the most won-der-ful time...of the year" or "its a most unusual day" from that Seinfeld episode about the failed beauty pageant contestant.

I can remember past opening days going back a long way, back to that critical 1986 year when I became a genuine knowledgable fan.

1986--being driven home from Hebrew School by Dad just in time to watch the Skins beat the Eagles

1987--Skins beat the Eagles again, also in the New Room. Doug Williams has the ball snatched right out of his hands like it was a bag of cash by Reggie White, but they win anyway.

1988--Skins opened up on Monday Night Football. I did not watch it.

1989--Skins opened up on MNF again vs. NYG. We went to an Orioles game. I never claimed to be perfect. I've made mistakes and I tried to move on and learn from them.

1990--Skins beat up on the Cardinals. I missed some of it because of soccer.

1991--We drove home from Steve's soccer tournament in Princeton just in time to watch the Skins destroy the Lions on Sunday Night Football. I knew it was going to be a special season

1992--Defending champs start on the road at Dallas, bad things happen. Blocked punt I think.

1993--We went to this one, beating the crap out of Dallas at RFK. The Petitbon era was born. The joy did not last very long

1994--Watched the Norv Turner era begin in the finished basement. Desmond Howard scored a touchdown. The rest was terrible

1995--We went to this one too vs. Arizona. Gus came off the bench for injured heath Shuler and threw a sweet pump and go to Leslie Shepherd to win it.

1996--At Michigan. 1:00 kickoff comes and goes without me witnessing it. Somehow the planet does not explode. The Redskins lose to the Eagles.

1997--In my dorm room at South Quad, Redskins are at Panthers for the Sunday night opener. They win. I drink beers.

1998--Walk up to Touchdown's on South U. to see a sign saying the satellite is broken. Holy shit. I ask two total strangers wearing 'skins gear to drive me to another cross town near the Ann Arbor mini airport. I get to watch Gus Frerotte throw a bunch of interceptions and get benched for Trent Green

1999--Arguably the worst start ever. Blow 35-14 lead to Dallas at home, lose in overtime on playaction bomb to Rocket Ismail. Storm out of Touchdowns for worst walk of misery ever.

2000--The Rathskeller, Coral Gables, Fla. Watch the Dream Team 2000 Redskins barely squeak by the Panthers for win at home. Bar manager asks me if I had just become a Redskins fan this year. I knew Miami was going to be a horrible place.

2001--Back in Bethesda at Dad's house. Jeff George is awful, defense is awful, everything is awful, and I spill ketchup on my jersey. Chargers win in blowout.

2002--A beautiful sunny sunday, Skins start at home at 1:00 as the Spurrier era is ushered in. A couple of td catches from Matthews to Gardner for the win

2003--Thursday night opener against the Jets. Ramsey fakes and scrambles to get in field position for winning field goal. JetSkins win.

2004--In attendance for beginning of Gibbs II on very hot day. Portis has his big breakaway td run on his first carry, Brunell fumbles in a touchdown, but the defense--Bowen, Arrington, Pierce--makes big plays to win

2005--Dad is kicked out of his house because of a baby shower or something so we watch at my apt. Ramsey starts well but is taken out after being clotheslined. Brunell leads team to 3 awesome field goals and the Skins defeat rookie qb Kyle Orton and the Bears

2006--What is supposed to be a big year begins really badly. Skins just play with the bunny (Swingers reference) and Brad Johnson and the Vikings gets his happy revenge on us on national tv after we miss a field goal late

2007--Sloppy, ugly game at home vs. Miami. Jansen pops his achilles, Smoot drops what would be a game winning int. return but the skins run it well in OT and win on field goal

2008--Thursday night opener, homecoming opponent for defending champ giants. Zorn calls shitty plays, can't manage the clock, but the defense makes it look like it was competitive. Skins lose 16-7.

No comments:

Post a Comment